Saturday, August 16, 2008

kanyamani o' kanyaamani


A SCREEN SHOT OF THE MOVIE...
FILM MAKING IS NOT SOCIAL SERVICE!
Some make films because they love to tell stories.Some make films because they want to make money and some make films because they love the medium and want to explore its immense possibilities. We made NAOD for all the three above reasons , particularly in that order. But one thing is for sure.... FILM MAKING IS NOT SOCIAL SERVICE! I cannot understand why some film makers act like they are doing a great favour to the audience by making a film for them. ...We at NAOD were very clear about the fact that the world would still be the same if NAM wasnt made. And maybe that was why on sets we never worked as if the world and its existence depended upon us making this film. Its not like ARMSTRONG or RAKESH SHARMA going to the moon. Thousands of films have been made before and thousands will be made after ours. Its just that... we hope to be remembered as that film that was made with sincerity and straightforwardness... A major part of ma crew were friends of mine even before the film project took off...and so on the sets it was like hanging around with ol friends...! But ,two people who became dear to me on the sets of NAM were Pratap and Mandya Ramesh. Coincidence has it that the first scene I shot during the shoot was their scene. Twas an emotional scene between the two of them and they pulled it of very well... Actually , the characters the portray are cornerstones of the film..... Mandya Ramesh as an artiste has been a great inspiration for me all the time and Pratap is a joy to work with on the sets coz he is always cracking those wisecracks....
Four lines from a song to watch out for...
Kanyamani o..kanyamani..preetsona baare ramani..
kanyaakumaara o' kanyaakumaara...nan myaage ninge affair'a?
Night' ella ninde dream aagaite, sleepu baradaagaite..mindu mankaagaite..
rushtaagaithe...foodu washtaagaite...life' e ooshtaagaithe...heartu blaashtaagaite...!

1 comment:

Rakshit said...

The two great comedians, one from the past decade and one for the future and obviously both of them rock in the present. First day I landed in Mysore and I had no idea how the shooting environment will be, I had no idea how the actors prepare for the shot and I was there quite a bit early to learn all these. First day when I reached the sets, some small scenes were already shot and people were waiting for 'Mandya Ramesh' at the same time. As he arrived, my curiosity in him raised to an extent I cant put them in words. My eye balls were literally following him to know more bout him. Not that I was a big fan of him or something but I had grown up watching his extraordinary performance in so many films. I knew I had to learn so many things from him and observation was the best way to start. I rem that night when he had been given 3 pages of dialogues which he had to deliver in one go.
"3 pages in one shot?"
This was my reaction. Mandya Ramesh grabbed the script and settled in one corner. After 15 mins he got up and told Arvind that he is ready.
"Sir, there is no break in between those lines. You need to deliver them in one go" Arvind replied
"Yes I know. Shall we start?" came the reply
I was thrilled. I had read the script and i knew what was in there. I wanted to see how an experienced Actor would perform different from what I had imagined him with those dialogues. I remember Arvind had told me while reading out those lines that 'If some one asks me whats the story of NAOD, I would just read out these three pages for them and if they ask me what is in the rest, I would simply say MY STYLE of story telling'. So according to me, these 3 pages of lines were the most important ones and believe it or not, as Arvind shouted action, the whole story of NAOD was told in 2 mins.
"That's it? Did he skip anything? What the hell? Arvind, did u give a break in between or cut the dialogue anywhere?"
Man he delivered 3 pages in one go, in one shot and he dint miss a word out of it, that perfect intonation, that perfect expression on his face for each and every sentence he said, that perfect body language and best of all, he dint even make us realize that he is been talking for 2 mins non stop delivering 3 pages of dialogues. What a talent, that's what I could comment. I was the greatest admirer of his that night.

Pratap joined us the same day too. I had never seen him performing. I had seen him on TV show called Kurigalu Sir. It dint take much time for anyone in the crew to get close to him. The set was crowded to watch Mandya Ramesh and Pratap perform as everybody could recognize Pratap from Kurigalu Sir. It was an awesome entertainer to the crowd and also everyone from the crew, when two great comedians started performing. Same shot was repeated many times for so many reasons and each and every time the crowd reacted with the same enthusiasm as they reacted for the same joke first time. This day was my first day on the film set and the day to be remembered for ever.