Thursday, September 4, 2008

I make SOAP!

That is me with ma ace cinematographer Ashok Cashyap and my Choreographer Anand....
what A fun!!!!
If someone asks me what I do for a living.. next time, I will say 'I make soap'.

Some filmmakers have a problem with their film being called a 'product' as opposed to something more artistic or technical.

FILM MAKING IS LIKE SELLING SOAP. You make a film and you sell it. You make a soap cake and you sell it. The point here is... you cannot sell the idea of making a brand of soap to a customer just as you cannot sell the idea of making a film to the audience. If I say 'I will make that film...I will make this film...etc etc'... there is no point in it. YOU only have to make the film and then see if it works or not with the audience.

Many a time in the past, I have come across producers who have asked me for a narration of a film story . After a narration they would say 'its nice but will it be saleable?" My answer or at least ma thought then would be 'BOSS...how will u know if it is saleable or not unless you make the film?". So, I think the best producer is that guy who is willing to allow you to make the soap instead of asking how its fragrance would be or how long lasting it would be.

Today, as a result of some positive interest about the film... or the idea that the film has shaped up good , I meet a lot of people who are willing or showing interest in allowing me to make ma soap. So , now I have started making soap...! HOPE MA BRAND OF SOAP WORKS..

No comments: